Atriumboks smal

Leave of absence

You can apply for leave of absence due to illness, childbirth, adoption or military service. We do not grant leave based on other reasons.

It will usually not be to your advantage to take leave

If you take leave of absence, the consequences are:

  • You will not be eligible to receive SU. This includes additional SU-clips in connection with childbirth. You will not be eligible for additional SU clips due to illness either if you have been on leave during your illness.
  • You cannot attend classes or go to exams in a semester in which you have been on leave. This applies even if you are only on leave for a part of the semester.
  • You cannot be a member of a collegiate board such as The Board of Studies or a Subject Area Team. 

Alternatively, you can apply for an exemption to study on special terms. Special terms means that for a period of time, you do not attend classes or exams at all. It could also mean that you study a reduced amount of ECTS for a semester. Read about your options if you are ill or if you are having a child.

Talk to the student advisors before applying for leave

If you are unsure about whether to apply for leave or apply for an exemption to study on special terms, please talk to our student advisors first to make sure this is the right option for you. 

See here for their contact information.

How to apply

Fill out the application form for Leave of absence.
Please also fill out a provisional study plan.

Send it to