You must register for all projects in My Study Activities, which includes registration for bachelor project and thesis.
You register for projects along with courses in the course registration periods December 1 - December 10 (spring semester projects) or June 1 - June 10 (autumn semester projects).
For more information about how to register, please look under Registration.
Your registration in My Study Activities generates a project agreement in the project base. Find the project agreement and invite your supervisor. For more instructions see below.
What is a project agreement? Invite your supervisor
The project agreement is an initial description of your planned topic, problem statement and approach. The project agreement gives you and your supervisor a common ground for starting up the project. This is an early document and your problem statement may change as you work on your project.
You must formally invite your supervisor via the project agreement. The supervisor must then accept the invitation.
For information on how to find a supervisor, please look here: The project supervisor
Send the project agreement for approval
When your supervisor accepts the invitation to supervise and you have finished describing your project, you have to submit the project agreement to the Board of Studies for approval. You do this via the project agreement in the project base. Until your project agreement has been approved by the Board of Studies, you will not be able to submit your project.
See deadlines for submitting the project agreement here.
Can you change the project agreement at a later point?
No. Once approved, everything in the agreement is locked, except for the project title. You can change the title in the project base until you hand in. However, if you and your supervisor agree, you can implement any change you want in the actual project. Your project agreement will not be part of the assessment.
If you are writing a group project, you must choose between five ways of conducting the oral exam. You must write in the project agreement which one you have chosen. See here for the 5 different oral exam forms.
The supervision agreement is a supplement to the project agreement, so you need to fill in both agreements.
A very important part of the supervision agreement is the alignment of expectations: how you want to frame the cooperation with your supervisor. Such an alignment is key to making your project process successful.
Template supervision agreement
Find the template here: Supervision agreement (Word) Supervision agreement (pdf)
To be able to write in the Word document all you need to do is to click on 'Enable editing' once you have opened the Word document.
What should I do?
- Sit down together with your supervisor and be sure to talk about the practicalities (for example communication, meeting frequency, other obligations, need for deadlines) and topics closer to your project (for example types of supervisor input, reading and feedback).
- Fill in the supervision agreement together with your supervisor in the very beginning of the project.
- Make sure that you have submitted the project agreement in the project base.
- 24 hours after the project agreement in the project base has been approved, a folder with the name of your project opens in LearnIT.
- Post the supervision agreement in LearnIT:
- Go to your project folder in LearnIT (the folder has the same name as your project)
- Open Discussion Forum
- Click "Add a new discussion topic"
- Write supervision agreement in the "Subject" field
- Attach the completed supervision agreement
- Click "Post to forum"
- If changes are required at some point during the project, you can add a new discussion topic with an updated file.
Deadline supervision agreement
Save the supervision agreement in LearnIT once the project folder opens - at the latest after second meeting with your supervisor.
If you are writing a group project, you fill in one supervision agreement for the entire group.
Topics inspiration list
You are free to discuss any topics that are important for you. Remember that the agreement is a tool - not a contract - to make sure that your expectations are aligned with your supervisor’s expectations. For inspiration, please check out this non-exhaustive inspiration list of topics that could be included in the agreement:
- Who is responsible for time management?
- Which methods will you learn to use?
- What is the level of expertise of the supervisor within the area of the project?
- Will you need access to data, equipment, technical assistance etc.?
- Will other researchers at ITU than your supervisor or external collaborators be involved in the project?
- If yes, is there a need for a collaboration agreement?
- Who will initiate the meetings?
- Will all the meetings be face-to-face?
- Where will the meetings take place?
- Will the meetings be informal meetings or formal meetings with minutes on decisions?
- What are the mutual expectations regarding preparation, input, outcome and follow up?
- Are there any dates not suitable for supervision?
- Are there any periods where you or your supervisor are unavailable due to conferences, holiday or other?
- How will your supervisor give feedback (face-to-face or email)?
- To which extent do you need feedback on the progress and quality of the work?
- What will the level of criticism be?
- What will the type and level of supervisor involvement in writing be?
- Is there a need for deadlines?
- Will the primary contact be by email, sms or other?
- What will the response time be on e-mails, documents etc.?
- What is your ambition?
- What kind of input will the supervisor provide (literature, design, contacts etc.)?
- Are there any circumstances in your life that can influence the project (care-giving responsibility, part-time job, health issues, disabilities or other)?
- Is there a need to take measures to balance project and private life?
- What is the plan for ongoing evaluation of the collaboration and agreement?
- What to do in case of conflict or misunderstanding between you and your supervisor?
Access to the supervision agreement
You, fellow students in your project group and your supervisor have access to the agreement and can agree to modify it anytime.
If the results of the survey at the end of the project show that there is a need to adjust the supervision process, access to the supervision agreement will be given to employees working with quality assurance.
Submitting the project
See submission deadlines and how to submit written work.