You must register for all projects in My Study Activities, which includes registration for bachelor project and thesis.
You register for projects along with courses in the course registration periods December 1 - December 10 (spring semester projects) or June 1 - June 10 (autumn semester projects).
For more information about how to register, please look under Registration.
Next steps is filling out The project agreement and The supervision agreement
Your registration in My Study Activities generates a project agreement in the project base.
Find the project agreement, fill it out and remember to invite your supervisor.
When your supervisor has accepted your invitation and the project agreement is complete, remember to submit the project agreement to the Board of Studies for approval. This is all done via the project agreement (in the project base) where a submit button will be available.
Bachelor projects, elective projects and Thesis:
Friday in week 5 / 35
Research project (CS, DS & SD):
September 23 2022
Summer project: Project agreements have a deadline running until 23:59 on the date given above.
No. Once approved, everything in the agreement is locked, except for the project title. You can change the title in the project base until you hand in.
However, if you and your supervisor agree, you can implement any change you want in the actual project. Your project agreement will not be part of the assessment.
The title you state in the project base is the one that will appear on your diploma.
You can change the title in the project base until you hand in. It cannot be changed once you have submitted your project/thesis.
If you are writing a group project, you must choose between five ways of conducting the oral exam. You must write in the project agreement which one you have chosen. See here for the 5 different oral exam forms
The supervision agreement is an optional supplement to the project agreement. We strongly recommend you fill in both agreements.
An important part of the supervision agreement is the alignment of expectations between you and your supervisor: how you want to frame your cooperation. The alignment is key to making your project and supervision process successful. This is what the supervision agreement is for.
Find more details about the supervision agreement in the actual document below.
Template supervision agreement
Find the template here: Supervision Agreement (Word) Supervision Agreement (pdf)
There is no deadline for the supervision agreement, but we recommend you and your supervisor write it at your first or second meeting.
To be able to write in the Word document all you need to do is to click on 'Enable editing' once you have opened it.
What should I do?
- Download the supervision agreement and meet with your supervisor to talk about the practicalities of supervision (for example communication method, meeting frequency, other obligations, deadlines etc.) and topics closer to your project (for example types of supervisor input, reading and feedback).
- Fill in the supervision agreement together with your supervisor in the very beginning of the project.
- Make sure that you have submitted the project agreement in the project base.
- 24 hours after the project agreement in the project base has been approved, a folder with the name of your project opens in LearnIT.
- Post the supervision agreement in LearnIT:
- Go to your project folder in LearnIT (the folder has the same name as your project)
- Open Discussion Forum
- Click "Add a new discussion topic"
- Write supervision agreement in the "Subject" field
- Attach the completed supervision agreement
- Click "Post to forum"
- If changes are required at some point during the project, you can add a new discussion topic with an updated file.
If you are writing a group project, you fill in one supervision agreement for the entire group.
Topics to discuss
You are free to discuss any topics that are important for you. Remember that the agreement is a tool (not a contract), to make sure that your expectations are aligned with your supervisor’s expectations. See below for inspiration and remember the list is not exhaustive at all.
- Who is responsible for time management?
- Which methods will you learn to use?
- What is the level of expertise of the supervisor within the area of the project?
- Will you need access to data, equipment, technical assistance etc.?
- Will other researchers at ITU than your supervisor or external collaborators be involved in the project?
- If yes, is there a need for a collaboration agreement?
- Who will initiate the meetings?
- Will all the meetings be face-to-face?
- Where will the meetings take place?
- Will the meetings be informal meetings or formal meetings with minutes on decisions?
- What are the mutual expectations regarding preparation, input, outcome and follow up?
- Are there any dates not suitable for supervision?
- Are there any periods where you or your supervisor are unavailable due to conferences, holiday or other?
- How will your supervisor give feedback (face-to-face or email)?
- To which extent do you need feedback on the progress and quality of the work?
- What will the level of criticism be?
- What will the type and level of supervisor involvement in writing be?
- Is there a need for deadlines?
- Will the primary contact be by email, sms or other?
- What will the response time be on e-mails, documents etc.?
- What is your ambition?
- What kind of input will the supervisor provide (literature, design, contacts etc.)?
- Are there any circumstances in your life that can influence the project (care-giving responsibility, part-time job, health issues, disabilities or other)?
- Is there a need to take measures to balance project and private life?
- What is the plan for ongoing evaluation of the collaboration and agreement?
- What to do in case of conflict or misunderstanding between you and your supervisor?
Submitting the project
See submission deadlines and how to submit written work.
Access to the supervision agreement
You, fellow students in your project group and your supervisor have access to the agreement and can agree to modify it anytime.
If the results of the survey at the end of the project show that there is a need to adjust the supervision process, access to the supervision agreement will be given to employees working with quality assurance.
This page was last updated June 2021