Atriumboks smal

Before going

Apply to the partner

If you have applied for and been nominated to an ITU partner, you then proceed to apply to the partner university. You will be informed about the process. Note that you are not guaranteed a place until you receive an acceptance letter from the partner university. 

Read more about the special requirements for Erasmus+ Students.

Pre-approval of Courses

You need to apply for pre-approval of the courses you plan to take at the host university. You must do this in order to make sure that the courses fulfill the course requirements in your curriculum, which is ultimately your own responsibility.

See deadlines and how to apply for pre-approval of courses.

In most cases you will have to apply for a pre-approval of courses, before you have been accepted to the courses at the host university.

If you are not accepted to the courses that ITU has pre-approved, you must apply for a new pre-approval.

You can do this even if the deadline has passed, since this is in relation to an update of your first application.

Please remember to make sure that you have received a pre-approval of the courses you plan to take at the host university before departure. Remember to contact if the approved courses are subjected to alterations.


For exchange students it is good to know that most partner universities will help you find accommodation, some even guarantee housing.

However, it is your responsibility and therefore you should take steps to find accommodation by yourself.

Be aware that dorm rooms are not uncommon and that the standards may vary. 

Deregister and SU

If you are eligible for and receive SU, you can keep receiving your SU (and SU-loan). But you need to be aware of how you are registered while abroad.

If you move your address to your parents or if you have notified the CPR-register that you are not in Denmark, you will be paid the amount that applies to students living at home with their parents.

To avoid this you can change your status in MitSU under “Oplys særlige bopælsforhold”. Here you choose “udlandsophold/studieophold”. Read more about SU abroad.

Language Requirements

Since courses are offered in a foreign language, certain knowledge of the language is required. Different universities have different language requirements, and sometimes it will be necessary to complete a language test (e.g. a TOEFL-test or an IELTS-test provided by EDU Danmark) or to present the required documentation.

Insurances, health-insurances

This is a very important area of planning a stay abroad. Make sure you are fully covered regarding health, personal liability and accidents when you leave Denmark. You are responsible for your own insurance coverage. Be aware of the following:

  • You are NOT covered by the National Health Service medical card (gult sygesikringsbevis), and you must therefore make sure that the insurances you take out cover the entire stay abroad (from departure to the arrival home).
  • If you have insurance already, you should check the extent of your insurances. It is often necessary to take out additional insurances (concerning both health insurance and public liability insurance/household insurance). 
  • If you are studying abroad in a European country, you must acquire The European Health Insurance Card (blåt sygesikringsbevis). Note that the card does not cover all expenses, e.g. repatriation in case of serious illness.  
  • In some cases, a partner will require you to take out a specific insurance. It is important that you are aware of what that insurance covers and if it is necessary to take additional insurance.
  • If you deregister in the CPR register, you risk being left of the public healthcare system for a period. Contact your local municipality before you deregister to learn if you are covered from the first day you are back in Denmark.  

Please notice:
If you are not a Danish citizen, you should contact the Danish authorities in case of matters concerning Folkeregisteret and the competent authorities in your home country in case of insurances.


It is important that you look into the visa requirements for your study abroad destination. If you are Danish or European citizen, you often only need a visa if you are studying abroad outside of the EU.

If it is necessary for you to apply for a visa, make sure you look into the requirements at an early stage. You often need e.g. an admission letter from the partner university. Normally, you apply for the visa at the embassy for the relevant country and you have to cover potential expenses yourself.
This is your responsibility. If there are any problems in connection with visa or residence permit, the IT University cannot be held accountable.

For further information, please contact the embassy of the host country or look at the Foreign Ministry’s website

List of Danes Abroad

If you are a Danish citizen, it is also a good idea to register on the List of Danes Abroad (known as ’danskerlisten’) at the Danish embassy in the country you are visiting. Find the list at where you can also find travel guides and security updates (in Danish) during your stay.

If you are not a Danish citizen, you might want to find out whether your home country provides a similar service.