

# Board of Studies (BoS) – 26 April 2022, 13:00-14:15

- Present: **Stine Gotved** (directly elected faculty), **Therese Graversen** (faculty, SAT CS), **Signe Louise Yndigegn** (faculty, SAT DD)
- Khurram Murtaza Kahn** (student, SAT Business), **Thomas Flodgaard Kaufmanas** (student, SAT DD), **Sofie K. Nielsen** (student, SAT CS), **Theodor Christian Kier** (directly elected student), **Peter Bech Astrup** (student, SAT Games)
- Ea Feldfos** (assigned guest, SAP), **Pernille Rydén** (assigned guest, Dean of Education), **Dorthe Stadsgaard** (secretary, SAP)
- Lise Lawaetz Winkler** (DoE Support, guest for item 2), **Malene Holm Smed** and **Lars Frier Boisen** (FM, guests for item 2), **Amalie C. Bagger** (student, guest for item 4), **Nynne G. Kristiansen** (student from SAT CS, observer on item 4), **Victor Shamal Andersen** (Student Council, see item 6 AOB)
- Absent: **Martin Pichlmair** (faculty, SAT Games), **Irina Papazu** (faculty, SAT Business)

## Minutes

### 1. Approval of agenda

*The agenda was approved.*

### 2. Discussion and draft action plan: Adjustment of Study Environment Assessment Action Plan 2021-2024, stakeholder feedback and action plan updates

*Lise: All stakeholders have been asked to provide input to the new data and whether the new data should lead to new actions or adjustments of the existing actions. Moreover, stakeholders responsible for existing action points were asked to update their action points in light of the new data. We have not received much towards new action points or changes to the existing ones. In my view, the data and stakeholder input does not necessitate changes to the existing Action Plan besides minor updates of current action points – unless I hear otherwise from BoS. I suggest BoS decides on the Action Plan at the next meeting (23 May). BoS is still able to make suggestions until then.*

*Concerning action points on wellbeing: The action points have been updated and all action points are in progress. The input we have received was primarily about stress and discrimination and sexual harassment and where to help on these matters. These issues are already being worked on by Study Guidance and other actors. There were no specific requests for new actions.*

*Concerning action points on learning environment: We are already addressing the most pressing issues. We have discussed how to approach feedback in this kind of action plan as this is a complex theme and there are many ways to approach it. There have been no requests for changes or additions to the action points. However, we are working with feedback in various ways in the action plan: Targeting teachers and Tas. Concerning TA's, we are focusing on the employment set-up before working with other skills development aspects including feedback.*

*Concerning action points on the physical study environment: The new data includes several comments on lack of space for group work, a high level of noise, issues with the indoor climate etc. Today, we have*

invited FM to the meeting today to give updates on action points concerning the physical study environment.

Malene: Let me start by saying that all the action points are continuous work for FM with or without the Study Environment Assessment and its action plan. Concerning workspace, we have increased workspaces in the study hall by 30 %. A lot of students ask for closed workspaces. This is difficult to achieve in an open building such as ours. But we continue working on solutions that create more closed workspaces.

Lars: The way we are allowed to use the different areas in the building is regulated by law, e.g. regulations from the Fire Authorities. The wings are approved as workspaces for employees who use the same place on a daily (or regular) basis. It is not allowed to give access for everybody to use such workspaces. It is to do with knowing where the emergency exits are etc. The Atrium is approved workspace for students. We are not allowed to mix staff and student work areas. It might be possible to make some changes to this, but it is a longer process. When you experience free space in wing 3B and on the fifth floor it is because it has not yet been rented out.

Signe: Some time ago it was possible to get an office space in a wing as a thesis students.

Malene: It is a different situation when it is the same student using the same workspace for a longer period. What we are not allowed to do is to open a wing for all students to use freely. We are looking into trying to make the authorities interpret it differently.

Theodor: What about the space rented by Novo where students walk in and out?

Malene: As staff is still present it is considered workspace. It is regulations that prevent us from using the building differently from what we do today.

Pernille: I believe the Alexandra Institute has unused space.

Malene: The issue is the same as with the space rented to Novo. If there is staff present, students can work there. Any space is available for students apart from the wings.

Malene: Concerning indoor climate we have set up more sensors. They measure temperature and ppm (pollution in the air, CO<sub>2</sub> etc.). The recommended level is 1000 ppm, but we have set the limit lower at 800 ppm. The system works to achieve this, and we check it daily. We are in touch with the supplier of the ventilation system, the plan is to make it possible for the users in the individual rooms to adjust the climate themselves (e.g. temperature). There will be a display in each room. It will be installed in the auditoriums first, then sky boxes and classrooms.

Khurram: Are there heat sensors in the auditoriums?

Lars: Yes, there are temperature sensors in the walls. The air enters behind your legs, we are working on another way so that the draft does not hit people's ankles and legs. What the sensors measure (temperature) and what the users experience differs, and we will keep working on the issues.

Pernille: Does management acknowledge that we need more spaces for group work?

Malene: Group rooms are an issue, but we have enough space. One issue that is hard to solve is that we all want to on campus at the same time.

Victor: Students are disturbed by noise and distractions in Atrium.

Malene: As I said earlier, we recognize the issue, but the way the building is constructed there is no quick fix to get more closed rooms.

Lise: Do students know they can use teaching rooms as well (when they are empty)?

Malene: In our experience everything is usually booked throughout the day.

Signe: The tables in atrium are for four people but most groups are bigger.

Malene: We recognize this is an issue. We cannot fix it tomorrow, but we will definitely work on it.

Signe: We seem to have space, e.g. in the canteen, which is hardly used during the day, could we use this for students?

*Malene: Absolutely. Students are already more than welcome to use the canteen as workspace.*

*Thomas: By the way, the new chairs in the reading room are not supporting the back very well – I hope there is no intention of buying more of those.*

*Malene: Concerning power outlets in teaching rooms with a flexible set-up we have tried many things but not found a really good solution. We have also tried to find inspiration from other universities but without much success.*

*Malene: Generally; please get in touch with FM immediately whenever you experience issues with the physical study environment.*

*Thomas: We should take that back to SAT and spread the word.*

*Stine: Thank you FM for meeting with BoS.*

*Lise: The **next step** is to add FM's update on action points to the study environment assessment Action Plan. Then I will send it to BoS for decision at the meeting 23 May.*

### **3. Decision: Approval of curriculum changes**

*Stine: Approval of several MSc curricula due to the closing of CrossDit. Are there any comments?*

*Thomas: Were the study programmes given any guidelines for what to replace CrossDit with?*

*Ea: No. It was up to the Head of Study Programme to find and suggest a solution, and all curriculum-changes have been approved by Education Group and Heads of Department. SAT have also been consulted.*

*BoS **approved** the suggested curriculum changes for MSc CS, MSc DDIT, MSc DIM, MSc DS and MSc Games.*

### **4. Information and discussion: Co-designing a different learning environment – Academic implications of changing the registration requirement (from 30 to 22.5 ECTS)**

*Thomas: The appendix should speak for itself. We hope to get feedback from BoS – is the suggestion to make it possible to deregister courses and only take 22.5 ECTS per semester feasible?*

*Stine: I applaud the work you have done, and I back the suggestion if it is allowed (legally).*

*Ea: SAP supports the suggestion. The next step would be to make an implementation plan. There are many steps in making it a reality. There are changes to make in STADS, a lot of documents and pages need updating etc. If BoS is behind the suggestion, I can make a suggested implementation plan for the meeting 23 May. We might be able to implement it earlier than Autumn 2023. From what I gather, students should still be registered centrally for 30 ECTS per semester but be able to deregister down to a minimum of 22.5 ECTS per semester.*

*Stine: Any comments on the suggestion?*

*Signe: I am behind it.*

*Therese: When students can push courses thereby taking courses in a different order than if they followed 30 ECTS per semester, it will be more work designing the programme. But we are moving in that direction anyway.*

*Victor: Student Council suggests the study programmes make an overview of which courses are 'easiest' to move (taking dependencies etc. into account).*

*Thomas: It would make it a lot easier for SAP if there are some guidelines, so they will not have to ask the study programme for every case.*

*Therese: From my perspective we already write which courses you should have taken before taking the course.*

Nynne: In practice this already goes on. Students ask older students which courses could be deregistered – what makes sense.

Ea: The curricula could include both default (30 ECTS per semester), and recommendations on what courses to push if needed.

As all present BoS member were behind the suggestion, BoS **decided** and **approved** the proposal to lower the registration requirement to 22.5 ECTS per semester.

For the May meeting Ea will bring a draft implementation plan.

## 5. Information: Course evaluation response rates, initiatives Spring 2022

See text in the agenda.

Dorthe encouraged the student representatives and Student Council to do their bit to improve response rates.

## 6. AOB (Any Other Business)

### a. Request for BoS' approval of pilot test of course evaluation tool

Victor from Student Council: SAT students are asked to bring input from students to SAT. I have worked on how to make a system for this. I would like to use an app to get continuous feedback from students. We do not want to introduce more surveys, so I have taken inspiration from some companies where they use sampling. I want to test this method at ITU. The method involves asking a few questions to a sample of students after each class. The sample will be different each time to make it a small effort for the individual student. I would like to do a pilot test on a few courses and have spoken to two Heads of Study Programme from Department of Computer Science about it. The results will be made available for the teachers involved, the student representatives, SAT, and Head of Study Programme. I am asking for BoS' approval to do the pilot.

Khurram: Is the plan to replace the current evaluation system or add to it?

Victor: That depends on how it works.

Pernille: I would not be opposed to replacing the current course evaluation system with one that is more motivating for students. During any pilot we would have two systems. However, no decision has been made to change the current system.

Therese: Your method encourages what I would label snapshot evaluations; each evaluation would concern a fraction of the course, teaching, and learning. My courses are not planned for that, they constitute a coherent whole. In addition, I would be super uncomfortable being evaluated every time I teach. I want to create a safe space for everybody in the classroom.

Signe: I agree. It is a good idea to look at how we evaluate courses, but I think we should look into getting professional help.

Theodor: It is important not to evaluate the person (teacher).

Pernille: There are ethical concerns, that must be taken seriously. As I understand it, this is more an engagement app, measuring the students' engagement and learning experience.

Thomas: You could invite Peter Nørgaard from DD, he already does something like this.

Victor: I appreciate your concerns. I would be very happy to work with someone on which questions to ask etc.

Signe: I think we need a deeper discussion of what course evaluations should be at ITU before we experiment with something like this.

Stine: To sum up: BoS does not approve running a pilot using this method.

*Victor: Can I still do it if the course managers agree to it?*

*Stine: I do not think we can prevent you.*

*Therese: But you cannot frame it as a pilot test sanctioned by BoS, run to test ideas for potential changes to the course evaluation system.*

***b. Referendum on introducing the academic quarter – or not***

*Stine: Sofie, Thomas and I have worked on the practicalities. We have chosen a platform; Microsoft Forms and will make the referendum available via QR codes.*

*Ea: How many should vote for the referendum to be valid?*

*BoS discussed this and **decided** a 30 % election turnout for the referendum to be valid.*

*Stine: Even though we take the referendum seriously, it is to a large extent a communication effort. Even if the current system is not changed, we will have raised awareness of the existing rule (ending class ten minutes early to allow for students to exit and enter).*