

# Board of Studies (BoS) – 24 May 2022, 10:00-11:30

- Present: **Stine Gotved** (directly elected faculty), **Signe Louise Yndigegn** (faculty, SAT DD), **Martin Pichlmair** (faculty, SAT Games), **Irina Papazu** (faculty, SAT Business)
- Thomas Flodgaard Kaufmanas** (student, SAT DD), **Sofie K. Nielsen** (student, SAT CS), **Peter Bech Astrup** (student, SAT Games), **Viktor Shamal Andersen** (substitute for Theodor)
- Ea Feldfos** (assigned guest, SAP), **Pernille Rydén** (assigned guest, Dean of Education), **Dorthe Stadsgaard** (secretary, SAP)
- Lise Lawaetz Winkler** (DoE Support, guest for item 2 and 3), **Allette Bundgaard** (Programme Coordinator for KCS, guest for item 4)
- Absent: **Khurram Murtaza Kahn** (student, SAT Business), **Theodor Christian Kier** (directly elected student), **Therese Graversen** (faculty, SAT CS)

## Minutes

### 1. Approval of agenda

*The agenda was approved.*

### 2. Discussion and statement: Education Portfolio Report 2022

*Pernille: Many things are going well, and we have been able to get through the pandemic. We have focused on seven action points that we find important. The action points are not isolated from other areas/action plans at ITU. It is important, that actions and focus areas do not exist isolated but are connected (Pernille went briefly through the seven action points).*

- 1. Increase students' awareness of ITU research, research-based learning and how to get involved in research*
- 2. A new process for employing TAs*
- 3. Increase retention and wellbeing at BSWU to ensure completion rate at 70 %*
- 4. Teacher distribution and a better fit between BSWU and KCS*
- 5. Process plan for the creation of a new foundation for interdisciplinary activities at ITU*
- 6. Strengthen the use, support, and management of labs in a learning context*
- 7. Increase course evaluation response rates (minimum 35 % in 2022)*

*Thomas: Action point 2: Will there be possibilities for TAs to provide input?*

*Pernille: Yes. The action point will have to be approved as a project in ITU's new governance model before we know if and when it will be prioritized. This means there is a risk it will not be prioritized right away.*

*Lise: The plan is to set up a working group with student participation.*

*Pernille: We have looked at past course evaluations to get information on issues, but students/TAs should of course be involved.*

*Thomas: I find it rather important that TAs are involved in changing the process for their employment.*

*Thomas: Action point 6: Did I understand it correctly; labs should collaborate with industry?*

*Pernille: Yes, and some already do. We want to strengthen the labs in general, collaboration with industry is one aspect.*

*Sofie: Action point 1: As a student, I find it difficult to find out where faculty members have their office. In general, it is difficult to know if faculty is available for questions and discussions etc. For instance, they do not have office hours.*

*Pernille: This is something I would like to work on.*

*Irina: Having office hours is not possible for faculty members located at the EHK building as we sit in open offices.*

*Sofie: But having office hours sends an important signal to students about availability.*

*Martin: It seems we are facing a bit of a transparency issue at the moment. The pandemic put a stop to a lot of things because physical presence was hindered. I think things will return to normal over time, for instance the return of Culture Night (open house event in October).*

*Dorthe will write BoS' statement on the Education Portfolio Report and include the following points:*

- BoS agree with the report's action points.*
- Action point 1: BoS request that the efforts to increase students' awareness of ITU research, research-based learning and how to get involved in research include a focus on increased transparency with regards to faculty being available to students (how, when, where etc.) and increased possibilities for students to be in contact with faculty.*
- Action point 2: BoS request that TAs are actively involved in the project. The purpose is to draw on their experiences to design the best possible employment process. Student Council should also be involved to ensure a broad student involvement.*

### **3. Decision: Approval of revised Study Environment Assessment Action Plan 2021-2024**

*Lise: At previous meetings, you have discussed the action plan in the light of the new data and updated the action plan. Now BoS is asked to approve it.*

*Stine: It is good to see overlaps and connections between action plans.*

*Pernille: It is very important to me to synchronize actions and projects whenever possible to ensure coherence.*

*Thomas: I have a suggestion for an addition to the action plan. It seems, measurement of indoor climate (in teaching rooms, sky boxes etc.) only happens on weekdays. It should be done on weekends as well as many students work on campus during weekends.*

*Lise: I Think we should approach FM on this outside the action plan. I will write to them today.*

**BoS approved** the Study Environment Action Plan 2021-2024.

### **4. Decision: Changes to curriculum for KCS**

*Allette: The change is part two of a larger plan. Step one made Cyber Security a mandatory course on BSWU. This step removes it as a mandatory course on KCS.*

*Stine: Just to make sure: It is taken away because it is at another place?*

*Allette: Exactly. Teaching a course on Cyber Security is still very important. On KCS it is made an elective and replaced with a mandatory course on Machine Learning which is becoming increasingly important and requested by students and employers.*

**BoS approved** the curriculum change on KCS.

## 5. Information: Upcoming changes to the Appendix to the Curricula

*Ea: This item is on the agenda to prepare you for the discussion and decision at the June meeting. The appendix to the curricula applies to all study programmes and collects general rules and regulations. It is updated regularly as rules and regulations change. SAP has collected several suggestions for changes. I introduce them today and ask for your immediate feedback. SAP also gets input from other stakeholders. Then, we adjust the draft and send it to BoS for approval in June.*

*Chapter 3:*

*Ea: We want to add a paragraph on online/blended learning activities to stress that they are not public. The Course Manager decides who are allowed into e.g. zoom groups. Lectures are public but zoom breakout rooms for exercises etc. are not. We also want to add a description of Mandatory activities and a description of how we handle it when courses are discontinued.*

*Stine: Concerning mandatory activities, the sentence "if a student does not pass, they will ..." I do understand the meaning, but it should be explained better.*

*Chapter 4:*

*Ea: External examiners have a hard time finding information on e.g. standard page sizes. We want to include a reference and link to ITU Student where the information can be found.*

*Chapter 5:*

*Ea: We want to clarify the text on electronic devices.*

*Thomas: Now a days every piece of equipment can be used for communication, so the section on electronic equipment must take this into consideration. There is nothing wrong with the rule, it is the definition that is outdated.*

*Ea: We also want to make it a rule that the exam schedule must be published at least one week before the exam. When it is a rule students know when to expect the schedule and the administration will be able to remind faculty. We also need to implement a specific place where students can find their exam schedule.*

*Thomas: Could the rule be connected to the hand-in date – e.g. the schedule must be published one week after hand-in?*

*Martin: Introducing that would be extra work for faculty. We should be aware of this.*

*Irina: Why is making the exam schedule not an administrative task?*

*Ea: Some teachers want to do it themselves.*

*Irina: Please include that an examination syllabus must be made by the Course Manager. We have had a long discussion on this at a study programme because the regulations are vague.*

*Ea: Concerning exam fraud we have had a few cases where students did the exam from home when they were supposed to do it at ITU (written exam on premises). We want to include something on this.*

*Victor: What is the consequence of such behavior?*

*Ea: The exam is considered failed, and the student receive a warning. In case of repeated offences, the student will be expelled.*

*Victor: Is it a rule that you must redo a course/exam at the earliest possible opportunity? This does not seem to be enforced evenly across courses/study programmes.*

*Ea: I will check and make sure it is added if it is not there already. Thank you for your comments. I will be getting comments from other stakeholders as well. At the June meeting, you will be presented with a second draft. Hopefully you will be able to approve the changes as this will make it possible for the adjusted Appendix to the Curricula to take effect from September 2022.*

## **6. Discussion: Changed registration requirements, draft implementation plan**

*Ea: SAP has begun to investigate how we can implement the decision to lower the registration requirements from 30 to 22.5 ECTS per semester. The first draft implementation plan suggests to make it a two-step implementation:*

*Step 1, implemented from Spring semester 2023: Technical solution in place. Students can deregister from courses and bring their registration down to 22.5 ECTS.*

*Step 2, implemented from Autumn semester 2023: Assessment of academic consequences of studying 22.5 ECTS per semester must have been carried out and advice/regulations on how to plan your education (in which order should/must courses be taken) if not registering for 30 ECTS each semester (some or all semesters) must be in place and available on each study programme.*

*We need your input on how to approach step 2. In STADS (the student administrative system) we can work with prerequisites but need some time to find a way to handle it. And Heads of Study Programme need time to work out alternative study plans, consider and determine prerequisites etc.*

*Thomas: Heads of Study Programme are key to discussions on academic implications. But students may also have important information on how to make the study programme feasible when studying less than 30 ECTS per semester. Some students are already doing this (by applying for exemptions) and this knowledge should be included.*

*Ea: Every study programme could have a task force with students included.*

*Thomas: SAT should also be included.*

*Ea: We can frame in the document how Heads of Study Programme should involve/communicate to students.*

*Martin: We all need to remember, that however well we prepare, we will only know how it works when we start practicing it.*

*Thomas: The students have a lot of practical knowledge on how it can be done, as they do it already. That is why students should be involved.*

*Victor: Would it be possible to apply the 22.5 ECTS-rule earlier for students who serve on SAT, BoS or the board in a student organisation? Could it be implemented for these students already from autumn 2022? That could also be an incentive for students to join the organisations and collegiate bodies.*

*Stine: The practical issues will not have been solved by autumn semester 2022.*

*Thomas: I see your point Victor, but one of the main reasons we are working with this is about well-being and stress. It might send the wrong signal to 'regular' students.*

*Victor: You make a valid point, but I still think it would be a nice signal to send to students who engage in student politics and collegiate bodies.*

*Stine: I think it will disrupt having an implementation plan for something which is rather complicated.*

*Ea: My perspective would be a legal one. I would have to check with other universities and find out if it is allowed. Any other comments for the draft implementation plan?*

*Stine: The students' knowledge must be included, please make this clearer.*

*Ea: Let us do a meeting between SAP and Student Council on how to communicate the decision. I will go ahead with the two-step plan. My next step is to consult other stakeholders (administrative teams, Heads of Study Programme etc.) and see if the draft implementation plan you have discussed today is feasible. You should also bear in mind, that however we end up designing the 22.5 ECTS possibility, the solution must be the same on all study programmes.*

## **7. Information and decision: Results of referendum on introducing the academic quarter – or not**

*Stine: The referendum has closed. Participation was almost 40 % so the referendum is valid. A total of 961 students and faculty members voted. The majority of voters preferred introducing the academic*

quarter. This means, that from Autumn semester 2022 classes, exercises etc. will commence 15 minutes past the hour and end on the hour.

Stine: The plan is to announce the change in ReadIT staff and students and on Billboard. Also, somebody must change texts and information on the intranet and ITU Student.

Pernille: I recommend close cooperation with SAP.

Thomas: What do we do if someone does not follow the new system?

Stine: This should be much easier, and I expect it to be much more self-regulating. We will cooperate with SAP on changing texts etc.

## **8. AOB (any other business)**

### **a. Information: Supervision evaluations (Quality Coordinator)**

Dorthe: Only 3 students participated in the supervision evaluation between 15 December and 6 April. Thus, follow-up on supervision evaluations will be postponed until we have more results. The aim is to send a report (and start following up) 22 August.

It has been raised whether supervision evaluation emails are sent. The IT Department has looked into it and not found any issues. But right now, there is another problem: Students receive notification on both the student and the supervisor questionnaire. The IT Department is working on fixing it.