

Board of Studies (BoS) – 6 May 2021, 11:30-12:45

- Present:** Martin Pichlmair (faculty, SAT Games), Signe Louise Yndigegn (faculty, SAT DD), Marco Carbone (faculty, SAT CS) Baki Cakici (faculty, SAT Buss)
- Emil Vogt Sørensen (student, SAT DD), Theodor Christian Kier (student, SAT CS), Mads Christiansen (student, SAT Business)
- Pernille Rydén (assigned guest, Dean of Education), Lene Rehder (assigned guest, SAP), Dorthe Stadsgaard (secretary, SAP)
- Guests:** Lise Lawaetz Winkler (Dean of Education Support), Henrik Ejby Bidstrup (IT Dept.), Jörn Christiansson (HoSP BDDIT), Martin Tvede Zachariasen (Vice-chancellor)
- Absent:** Stine Gotved (chair, directly elected faculty), Daniel Kirsch Kromann (directly elected student), Alexander Lytton (student, SAT Business), Alex Dalum (student, SAT Business), Thomas Flodgaard Kaufmanas (student, SAT DD), Annamaya Halskov-Jensen (student, SAT Games)

Minutes

1. Approval of agenda

The agenda was approved. BoS' chair, Stine, was not present. Baki volunteered to chair the meeting.

2. Approval of minutes from meeting 6 April 2021

The minutes were approved.

3. Study Environment Assessment, Action Plan

Guests: Henrik Ejby Bidstrup (IT), Lise Lawaetz Winkler (DoE Support)

Lise: A quick update: All stakeholders have received information on their Action Point(s): Most of them have accepted the appointed responsibility and are in process of fine-tuning their Action Point(s). We will approve the final and full Action Plan at the next BoS meeting. IT has some comments and thus Henrik has been invited.

Henrik: Thank you for inviting me. I was surprised when I received the Action Point on wifi as I do not find backing for a wifi action point in the survey data. That is my objection; it is not substantiated in data. Wifi is extremely important for the university to function and it is always high on our agenda in the IT Department. We want to do whatever we can to ensure a well-functioning wifi, but we need solid data to fix potential problems. If we do not know where exactly in the building the problems occur/exist, we cannot really do much about it.

Pernille: what are the future perspectives on this? Is wifi included in the IT strategy?

Henrik: I do not know. It was not mentioned at the IT strategy workshops (that wifi was an issue and should be included in the strategy). The IT Department decided to address wifi ourselves as it is so important. So wifi is in scope. The IT strategy project is not yet finished.

How did BoS conclude that wifi is an issue?

Lise: BoS members reported that especially the DR building suffer from wifi problems.

Theodor: I agree that it is not good to be without data to back it up. But I do know that students experience wifi issues pretty often, especially in the hallways.

Henrik: Yesterday there was a problem in a skybox. But it turned out that someone had pulled out cables... I am not saying that our wifi is problem-free, but it also depends on peoples' devices and how they treat equipment. IT is more than willing to work on a well-functioning wifi, but we need to know exactly when and where problems occur. We need data to take action.

Pernille: You might need to align expectations with students better.

Henrik: We do communicate and have a task force who circulates on campus talking to people. Eg. telling them that creating Hot Spots interfere with wifi. But we need specific error reports from users to fix the issues we can do something about.

Baki: We hear your concerns. If BoS cannot provide the necessary data to back an Action Point on wifi, we must find somewhere to place the topic. Students; can you help us find out how to make the implicit knowledge (that wifi issues exist) more explicit (where and when do they occur).

Pernille: Could it be an idea to have somewhere to report problems?

Baki: We already have that. QR codes for reporting issues are displayed all across campus.

Emil: I do not think many students know what the QR codes are for. They do not know where to report problems.

Theodor: Me and a group of students are hoping to be elected for Student Council and one thing we would like to work on is visibility of Student Council, so students know we are there and that they can bring stuff like this to us.

Henrik: I would like to get involved. I have formerly held regular meetings with Student Council, but they hardly ever showed up. The QR codes are placed many places and it says what they are for. It is a very useful tool.

Dorth: Perhaps you could remind students in ReadIT occasionally about the QR codes and the importance of reporting issues.

Lise: Henrik and I will work on how to formulate the Action Point.

Baki: Thank you Henrik.

4. Department of Digital Design, new project type

Guest: Jörn Christiansson (HoSP BDDIT)

Baki: The proposal has been approved in all SAT. Are there any further comments?

Marco: SAT CS have some concerns about the proposed project type. They are mostly quality control related as there is no oral exam or external examiner. Will it be possible for a study programme to opt out?

Martin P: I have similar concerns. It is hard to ensure that companies give students all the necessary competencies. We have already used this exam form but using an oral exam has been a really important addition on Games. It also gave us input on the companies and how they work with our students.

I wonder if the new project type will add to the possibilities for students to apply for dispensation from e.g. CrossDit?

Jörn: I do not have all the answers. Concerning quality assurance of the exam – we wanted to create a project with light administration and adding an oral exam or an external examiner will increase

administration a lot. I hope a lot of the quality control can be handled in the Project Agreement, we can work on that.

Pernille: Concerning using the exam form to replace CrossDit; I see collaboration with industry in the proposed exam form but not necessarily interdisciplinarity. So, I am not sure how often it would be used for replacement.

Martin P: But it could be a real cross-disciplinary project (compared to the more 'artificial' kind CrossDit offers). Students will definitely try to use it to replace CrossDit, also to gain a true interdisciplinary project experience. I actually appreciate that.

Baki: The biggest concern seems to be quality control of the exam. What would it take for SAT CS to approve the exam form?

Marco: I do not have a solution – I could suggest an oral exam, but the proposal explicitly does not want that. Could we use an external examiner? And/or make it possible for a study programme to opt out of this exam form. SAT CS can approve it as it is, but we have some concerns.

Jörn: We could try it out on DDIT and then decide if we want to make it an ITU-wide exam form. We could try it out in Autumn 2021 and spring 2022.

Decision: *BoS approves testing the exam form on BDDIT and KDDIT in Autumn 2021 and Spring 2022. In Autumn 2022, BDDIT and KDDIT must bring the proposal back to BoS for discussion and final approval, including an account of the experiences.*

5. Evaluation of course and supervision evaluation

Guest: Martin Zachariasen (Vice-chancellor)

Dorthe gave a brief presentation of the proposed changes and informed BoS that Education Group and Heads of Department unanimously support the proposed changes.

Marco: We cannot do without a project agreement.

Dorthe: The project agreement stays as it is a legal requirement. It is the supervision agreement we propose to cancel. We might need to add something to the project agreement on the supervision process to comply with legal requirements. I will look into this when implementing the changes to the evaluation system.

Martin Z: Executive Management finds it all to be reasonable suggestions. I have two comments/suggestions:

- a. I am a bit worried about removing the final evaluation in class. I suggest we recommend that it is carried out – and state that a non-survey method must be used. That way, it will not mirror the survey part of course evaluations. A final evaluation in class should give something extra, not be another survey.*
- b. Concerning the supervision agreement, I understand the desire to cancel it, but I suggest we add something to the project agreement about the supervision process. And recommend that a mutual alignment of expectations is made between supervisor and student(s).*

Theodor: Good suggestions from Martin. There are cases where the final evaluation has made all the difference so I agree that making one should be recommended.

Martin P: I find there are two things which are not addressed:

- 1. It is not easy for teachers (and students) to remember when to do the evaluations. could we introduce reminders?*
- 2. I have had success giving the students time during class to participate in the survey. Could we make it a recommendation to set off time during class?*

Pernille: I agree with Martin P.'s suggestions. Using time during class for the course evaluation survey gives you the opportunity to contextualize the evaluation.

Martin Z: I also agree with Martin P.

Signe: When a component is removed it frees up space and time for doing the survey during class.

Dorthe: It has always been the recommendation to set time off during class for course evaluations. But of course, we can try to promote it even more.

Decision: *BoS approve the proposal adding*

- a recommendation that an in-class evaluation is done (at the end of the course)*
- a recommendation that students get time during class to participate in the survey*
- the project agreement must include considerations on the supervision process.*

6. Consultation on ITU Strategy 2022-2025

Guest: Martin Zachariasen (Vice-chancellor)

Martin Z: I gave a presentation to staff a couple of weeks ago. With this consultation, we ask for final comments on the wording. Then, the Strategy is sent to the Board of Directors for approval.

Baki: There has been a major improvement from the former draft. I want to hear your thoughts on some inbuilt tensions: Increasing the volume of students might be in conflict with goals on increased gender balance and strong employability. A more diverse graduate population might mean our graduates are less employable (because the job market might be more rigid than the university). How do you negotiate these kinds of tensions in the strategy?

Martin Z: I agree that such tensions are always there. There is a need for more IT graduates, and if we educate more there is a risk of a lower employment. But we believe the need for ITU graduates will increase overall.

Baki: There is a similar tension between recruiting many more students and keeping our GPA and other admission requirements.

Martin P: We are happy with the inclusive process.

Pernille: The implementation will involve BoS and many other stakeholders.

Baki: There is a recognition of the tension, and we will probably debate it more when implementing the strategy.

Decision: *BoS approve. BoS' secretary will send this hearing response:*

The Board of Studies point to possible tensions between goals in the strategy. E.g.:

- Increasing the volume of students at ITU might have a negative impact on employment rates and gender balance among students and graduates*
- Increasing the volume of students at ITU might result in admitting students with a lower GPA or less optimal qualifications.*

The Board of Studies have no suggestions for further rewording of the strategy.

7. AOB (Any Other Business)

Exam schedule for autumn 2021

Marco: In the CS Department we have issues with the scheduling of Winter exams (perhaps also summer exams). Exams are scheduled from the first week after the semester finishes till the end of January. Everything before 10 January are written exams, everything after are oral exams. This means written exams are scheduled close together. And sometimes students get very little time to

prepare for a written exam. I know exam planning is a very difficult task and I appreciate that. I do however want to state that exams should be pushed as far as possible from the end of the semester and it should be possible to spread them out more. Could we please see if we can do something about this problem?

Baki: We could start by bringing it up at the HoSP + DoE meetings. We can bring it back to BoS later.

Lene R: I would also like to help.

Decision: *HoSP from CS will discuss the issues at a meeting between all Heads of Study Programme and the Dean. SAP will be involved as needed. The item is brought to BoS again if needed.*