

# Board of Studies (BoS) – 6 April 2021

- Present:** Stine Gotved (chair, directly elected faculty), Martin Pichlmair (faculty, SAT Games), Signe Louise Yndigegn (faculty, SAT DD), Marco Carbone (faculty, SAT CS)
- Annamaya Halskov-Jensen (student, SAT Games), Alex Dalum (student, SAT Business), Thomas Flodgaard Kaufmanas (student, SAT DD)
- Pernille Rydén (assigned guest, Dean of Education), Dorthe Stadsgaard (secretary, SAP)
- Guests:** Lise Lawaetz Winkler (Dean of Education Support), Paolo Tell (faculty)
- Absent:** Lene Rehder (assigned guest, SAP), Baki Cakici (faculty, SAT Bus), Mads Christiansen (student, SAT Business), Emil Vogt Sørensen (student, SAT DD), Theodor Christian Kier (student, SAT CS), Daniel Kirsch Kromann (directly elected student), Alexander Lytton (student, SAT Business)

## Minutes

### 1. Approval of agenda

*The agenda was approved.*

### 2. Approval of minutes from meeting 12 February 2021

*The minutes were approved.*

### 3. BSWU, non-standard exam form

*Paolo: It is a 15 ECTS course. The exam form used to be a group project and an individual oral exam. Due to the increased intake on SWU we wished to try a different exam form on the course: Group project and an individual written exam. We have used it already; but as the rules are right now, I must apply for the x-form every time the course runs. The project plays an important role in the course and must be part of the exam.*

*Stine: The description of mandatory activities on the course is insufficient. There needs to be a way for students to have a second attempt if they fail some of the mandatory activities.*

*Paolo: The mandatory activities do have that opportunity; they can be reattempted. I will amend the description to make it clearer.*

*Stine: Did you get feedback from LS on the course description and application for an x-form?*

*Paolo: Yes, they gave some comments and I have addressed them in the application. I agreed with some of their comments and disagreed with others. I have taken them all into consideration.*

*Paolo: I think the exam form should be a standard exam form at ITU. I have discussed the exam form with colleagues who agree. When I have time, I will apply for it to be added to the catalogue of exam forms.*

*Stine: What is the process of applying for the exam form to be part of the catalogue?*

*Dorthe: I do not know, hopefully the Programme Coordinator can help.*

**Decision:** *BoS approves the application.*

#### 4. Study Environment Assessment, Action Plan

*Lise: We will continue our discussion of the Action Plan. BoS is not to develop actions in detail, that will be the job of the person or department we appoint as responsible for the action point.*

Wellbeing (Stress, loneliness, pressure etc.):

*No new comments.*

Exclusion, harassment etc., help facilities:

*Stine: A while ago we discussed having one go-to person for students. Should we suggest that again?*

*Pernille: We have discussed introducing a hotline. I have been approached by students – and some parents as well. I have directed people to the Study and Career Guidance.*

*Stine: What about harassment?*

*Lise: In cases of harassment, you can find information on the go-to person on ITU Student. Presently it is Lene Rehder, Head of SAP.*

*Pernille: We need to make it very easy for students to find out how and where to get help. We are working on increasing visibility.*

*Lise: It sounds like the Dean of Education should be responsible for this action point together with the Study & Career Guidance and Communication Department.*

*Pernille: We also need input from students on where to place the information, so it is easy for them to find.*

*Thomas: We could also utilize student members of SAT – they are already in contact with students. The SAT students can be educated in where to refer students to.*

*Pernille: That is a good idea. The next issue is to make sure students know who the SAT-students are.*

*Alex: Where does ITU draw the line between issues ITU should help students handle and issues where students need to seek help elsewhere?*

*Pernille: The coming strategy on wellbeing makes a very wide definition. If ITU cannot/should not be the one to help we must at least be able to refer the student elsewhere.*

*Lise: Any more input to the action point on exclusion, bullying, harassment, and discrimination?*

*Martin: ITU needs to be aware that there is a generation gap in this area between staff and students. Language and pronouns are areas where ITU needs to confront itself. We can and should become much more modern at ITU. I advocate an ITU-initiative in this area.*

*Thomas: The tutors and intro-week are key to this. The tutors might have a lot of input.*

*Pernille: We are trying to approach this as a competence issue. We must find out what competencies we need to have at ITU and as employees to be diverse and inclusive etc. Then, the competencies must become part of our DNA.*

*Annamaya: The two should be separated – it is one issue to ensure that harassment etc. does not occur and another issue how we handle it if it does occur.*

*Lise: We will assign responsibility for this Action Point to Education Group (the Dean is a member of EG).*

Learning environment, feedback, increase number of TA-hours:

*Stine: This is not just about TA's. Feedback activities must be integrated into the teachers' work(load) and be an integrated part of their tasks. Teachers should take feedback activities seriously. It should be an integrated part of teaching and should be viewed and treated as such. It is about the way we talk about teaching. MUS could be a tool. It is not a bad idea to give TA's more hours to give feedback, but teachers should also be a big part of feedback activities.*

*Pernille: The TA budget is my responsibility, and we are working on improving things.*

*Signe: I agree with Stine. Also, TA's hours were reduced some years ago and we would benefit from having more.*

*Workload:*

*Stine: We already have a lot of tools to make workload visible and transparent. I do not know if we can do more. I am not sure I think it is an issue. It came from Department of Computer Science, perhaps we should ask them.*

*Marco: In SAT CS we looked at how many hours students report using per week and for CS students it was below a full week.*

*Pernille: Workload is a fair topic to discuss, the outcome should be about making expectations and assumptions clear to all involved.*

*Annamaya: Students should know what is expected, e.g. what is have-to-read and what is nice-to-read on a course.*

*Physical environment, wifi:*

*Lise: I have talked to IT Department; they ask for feedback on problems to be very specific (exact room etc.) if they are to be able to act.*

*Annamaya: I know there are issues at Emil Holms Kanal.*

*Signe: I believe it is an issue in both buildings. Especially on 4 and 5 floor. I cannot be completely specific.*

*Pernille: We are making an IT Strategy as well. IT Department are aware of the wifi-issues and will take them into consideration.*

*Stine: Let us keep the action point to keep up pressure.*

*Workspace for students and booking app:*

*Pernille: A booking system for the reopening phase is being worked on, let us see how it works. A booking system might also be a good idea post-COVID19.*

*Lise: We will follow it closely and see if it should be a permanent solution.*

*Thomas: Being able to book a room does not change the fact that there are not enough workspaces.*

*Power sockets:*

*Annamaya: In many rooms at Emil Holms Kanal there are no possibilities for charging your computer, e.g. during lectures. There are not enough power sockets.*

*Lise. Thank you. I will update the draft action plan and take it to the stakeholders. Then, I will get back to BoS.*

**5. FYI: Changes to Quality Assurance processes from 2022**

*Dorthe informed on the two main changes: The Heads of Study Programme's annual Study Programme Report will be written in February and discussed with Education Group in March. The Education Group's annual Education Portfolio Report will be written in April-May and discussed with Executive Management in June (BoS will give their written statement in May). The purpose of the changes is to treat Quality Data from the previous calendar year as early as possible.*

**6. AOB (Any Other Business)**